UnityPoint Health Physical Therapy Assistant in Waterloo, Iowa
$5,000 sign on bonus*
Physical Therapist Assistant
UnityPoint at Home - Waterloo, Ia
Full-time, M-F day time hours
The Physical Therapy Assistant provides direct patient care for a diverse community-based caseload according to the plan of care developed by a supervising Physical Therapist. Delivers patient care that is consistent with clinical best practices and results in high quality, improved outcomes and an exceptional patient experience.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Commitment to our Team – We're proud to be recognized as a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker's Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you matter. Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/ to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Patient Care/Care Coordination
· Makes visits to the homes of patients requiring home health physical therapy services.
· Treats clients to relieve pain, restore function and maintain maximum performance using appropriate physical therapy treatments, modalities and procedures as directed by the physician and physical therapist and included in the plan of care.
· Directs and aids patients in active and passive therapeutic exercises, muscle reeducation, gait and functional training, transfer activities and prosthetic training.
· Uses physical agencies including heat, cold, water, electricity, ultrasound and massage.
· Instructs patient, family and caregivers in care and use of wheelchairs, braces, crutches, canes, and prosthetic or orthotic devices.
· Ensures quality and safe delivery of services to patients according to the care plan.
· Uses equipment and supplies safely, effectively, and efficiently.
· Observes and reports to the Physical Therapist and other designated organizational personnel the patient response to treatment and any changes in patient condition.
· Provides the services that are ordered by the physician as indicated in the plan of care.
· Maintains accurate and timely documentation of clinical records and time/travel entries.
· Identifies risk for acute hospitalization and proactively prevents adverse events.
· Provides visits/treatments consistent with the plan of care.
Home Care Performance Criteria
· Delivers quality care and completes clear, concise and accurate clinical documentation of care provision in accordance with home health conditions of participation (CoPs), various payer home health coverage criteria, accreditation standards, professional standards for discipline/credential and the home health plan of care.
· Participates in clinical review of records to monitor quality and accuracy, appropriate utilization, appropriate involvement of interdisciplinary team members, appropriate referrals and coordination of care.
· Uses appropriate infection control procedures and safety measure to protect employees and patients.
· Participates in case conferences, in-service programs and other meetings required to ensure coordinated and comprehensive care.
· Reviews all patient assignments prior to scheduling first visit and accepts patient assignments only for which qualified and competent in any specific care/technical skill/procedure needed.
· Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
· Participates in quality assurance/performance improvement (QAPI) activities, as assigned.
· Maintains professional knowledge for discipline/credential/license ensuring inclusion of content specific to home and community based care.
· Communicates professionally, effectively and timely to all team members and co-workers and responds to all communication in a timely manner including, but not limited to e-mails, phone communication and meeting follow-up responsibilities.
· Establishes and maintains positive interpersonal relationships with team members, patients and family members while maintain personal and professional boundaries.
· Assist with new employee orientation when necessary.
· Effectively plans, organizes, sets priorities and completes works assignments with minimum direct supervision per agency policy and within established time frames.
· Maintains productivity standards as defined by home care supervisor.
· Meets or exceeds agency expected outcomes related to patient experience and hospitalization utilization.
· Performs other duties as assigned by home care clinical supervisor and/or administrator.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Licensed, registered, or certified as a Physical Therapist Assistant by the state(s) providing services.
Graduate of a Physical Therapist Assistant curriculum approved by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education of the American Physical Therapy Association; or, if educated outside the United States or trained in the United States military, graduated from an education program determined to be substantially equivalent to Physical Therapist Assistant entry-level education in the United States by a credentials evaluation organization approved by the American Physical Therapy Association.
Passed a national examination for Physical Therapist Assistants
One year experience caring for similar patient population as to be assigned.
Home care experience
2+ years’ experience
Valid licensed driver with automobile insurance in accordance with state(s) and/or organizational requirements.
Mandatory Reporter: Child & Dependent Adult Abuse.
Person Centered Care (PCC) course completion within first 12 months of hire and annual completion of competency validation activities.
CPR: Maintain a valid Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider Card with Re-certification.
Knowledge of rehabilitation principles and able to carry out the procedures in the home with no in-person supervision.
Strong interpersonal skills.
Ability to work as a collaborative team member.
Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
Ability to navigate and perform basic use of Microsoft Office products.
Maintains a reliable mode of transportation and has the ability to drive safely during all day and night hours and in all types of inclement weather.
Experience with documentation in an electronic health record.
Requisition ID: 2023-132812
Street: 3731 University Ave
Name: 9400 UnityPoint at Home Affiliate
Name: SN Visits- HC- WL
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Full time Mon-Friday Day Time Hours
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org