UnityPoint Health Medication Therapy Management Pharmacist in Waterloo, Iowa
Medication Therapy Management Pharmacist
UnityPoint - Allen Clinic Pharmacy
Full Time + Benefits
Responsible for all aspects of pharmaceutical care and dispensing in patient care areas including, but not limited to, the retail pharmacies, UP Clinics and Allen Hospital
Why UnityPoint Health?
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options like 401K match, paid time off and education assistance that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Key Accountability – Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
• Practice Pharmaceutical Care: Review medication orders, including order entry and/or order verification, to assess appropriateness of drug selection for targeted disease state. Based on patient-specific parameters (e.g. renal function, hepatic function, patient co-morbidities and patient-specific medication compliance issues, etc.), reviews medication orders and regimens for appropriate dose, schedule, route, contraindications, and potential drug interactions. Contact with the prescriber as necessary for clarification and/or to recommend appropriate therapy or dosage changes. In accordance with established policies, procedures and/or protocols, specific activities may include, but are not limited to:
o Any retail pharmacist or clinic pharmacist activities
• As assigned, provide and coordinate pharmacy functions for a specified area or patient population. These functions include, but are not limited to:
o Respond to complex questions regarding patients’ therapy and reactions to medications from other members of the health care team (pharmacists, nurses, physicians, etc.)
o Provide input regarding medication treatment guidelines, protocols, drug formulary decisions and dosing guidelines
o Patient education in areas such as diabetes management, anticoagulation, self-administration of injections, immunizations, CHF or any disease state or patient need
o Expansion of pharmaceutical care programs
o Pharmacy staff education to increase knowledge and skills
o Participation in appropriate committees such as Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Subcommittees, Quality Improvement committees, and other work groups
• Prepare and dispense medications according to established policies, procedures, and protocols in accordance with all laws and regulations.
• Document interventions in the patient medical record as appropriate and/or in the pharmacy approved database.
• Assist with the process of Medication Reconciliation
• Participate in quality improvement and patient safety initiatives, particularly as they relate to medications and medication use evaluation (MUE) activities.
• Review and check work of other pharmacy personnel to ensure the dispensing of the correct medications per prescriber’s order with appropriate documentation and in accordance with all laws and regulations.
• Provide accurate drug information to physicians and other health care professionals.
Key Accountability – Development and Patient Education
• Provide drug information/education to patients and/or their family.
• Contribute to the experiential education of pharmacy residents, pharmacy students, and students of other health care professions
• Complete all competency/skills assessment requirements and any necessary credentialing for MTM work
• Continue professional development by involvement in professional activities that enhance pharmacy practice.
• Maintain a neat, clean, orderly, and secure department/work area.
• Inspect and maintain responsibility for pharmaceutical supplies, storage, and utilization in assigned patient care areas. Also acts as pharmacy liaison to assigned area, providing drug information and solving patient care/pharmacy problems unique to the assigned area.
• Oversee technical and support staff in the absence of administrative personnel
• Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
• Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
• Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
• Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
• Behave in a manner consistent with all Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
• Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
• Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
• Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own interests.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
• Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
• Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
• Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
• Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
• Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
• Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
• Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) or active Iowa Board of Pharmacy waiver to provide pharmaceutical care as an RPh.
Must maintain current license to practice pharmacy in Iowa with the Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners to continue employment.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Strong interpersonal skills.
Strong computer skills.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2023-137884
Street: 1825 Logan Ave
Name: 2520 UnityPoint Health Allen Hospital
Name: Medication Management
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 1.0
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 8 hour shifts M-F
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org