J&J Family of Companies Principal Statistical Programming Lead in United States
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Statistical Programming Lead in the United States or Canada. Remote work options may be considered on a case-by-case basis and if approved by the company.
The Principal Statistical Programming Lead is a highly experienced Statistical Programmer with expert knowledge of Statistical Programming languages, tools and data structures, proven technical and analytic abilities and strong capabilities in leading Statistical Programming activities and programming teams in accordance to departmental processes and procedures.
In addition, this position leads and/or contributes expert knowledge and technical skills to Therapeutic area and/or departmental innovation and process improvement projects. This position is accountable for the planning, oversight and delivery of statistical programming activities in support of one or more clinical projects, compounds and/or submissions generally of high complexity/criticality.
In this role, the Principal Statistical Programming Lead is responsible for making decisions and recommendations that impact the efficiency, timeliness and quality of deliverables with a high degree of autonomy and provide leadership, direction and technical and project specific guidance to programming teams.
As highly experienced member of the Statistical Programming and Analysis team, they apply expert scientific, technical and problem-solving skills to ensure the operational effectiveness and efficiency of statistical programming activities across assigned projects and provide training or coaching to statistical programmers.
Principal Responsibilities: As Programming Lead
• Accountable for Statistical Programming team delivery for 1 or more clinical projects of high complexity, scope and/or criticality.
• Provides matrix leadership to 1 or more programming teams, coordinating and overseeing programming team activities. May act as a section lead of programming activities supporting a clinical development program, compound or submission.
• Contributes to and applies strategic decisions and recommendations, developing and maintaining detailed programming strategy and plans.
• Provides technical and project specific guidance to programming team members to ensure high quality and on-time deliverables in compliance with departmental processes.
• Performs comprehensive review of, and provides input into, project requirements and documentation.
• Collaborates effectively with statistical programming and cross-functional team members and counterparts to achieve project goals.
• Independently manages interfaces and escalations with cross-functional project teams.
• As applicable, oversees statistical programming activities outsourced to third party vendors adopting appropriate processes and methods to ensure their performance meets the agreed upon scope, timelines, and quality.
As a highly experienced Statistical Programmer:
• Designs and develops programs and technical solutions in support of highly complex/critical clinical research analysis and reporting activities, including urgent/on-demand analysis request.
• Applies technical and analytical expertise to develop and implement solutions for use on clinical projects leading to increased efficiency and quality.
• Responsible for adoption of new processes & technology on assigned projects/programs in collaboration with departmental Technical groups and statistical programming portfolio leads.
• Shares knowledge, guides and coaches’ statistical programmers in developing advanced technical and analytical abilities.
• Serves as a departmental resource in areas of scientific, technical and/or therapeutic/disease area expertise.
• Contributes to and may lead Therapeutic Area and/or departmental innovation and process improvement projects and may contribute functional statistical programming expertise to cross functional projects/initiatives.
• Ensures continued compliance with required company and departmental training, time reporting, and other business/operational processes as required for position.
• May play the role of a Therapeutic/Disease Area Expert contributing to standards strategy and definition and providing expertise for a specific Therapeutic/Disease area across value streams.
• Reports into people manager position within the Statistical Programming functional area. Accountable to the Statistical Programming TA Head and/or Statistical Programming Portfolio Lead for assigned programming activities and responsibilities.
• Functional contacts within IDAR may include but are not limited to Statistical Programming TA Head, Statistical Programming Portfolio Lead, Statistical Programmers, peer groups within department, IDAR Therapeutic Area Lead, Data Management and Clinical Data Standards, Regulatory Medical Writing.
• Functional contacts within Janssen (as collaborator or peer) include but are not limited to Trial Lead or equivalent, Quantitative Sciences, Biostatisticians, Regulatory, Clinical.
• External contacts include but are not limited to, external partners, CRO management and vendor liaisons, industry peers and working groups.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science, mathematics, data science/analytics, public health or other relevant scientific field (or equivalent theoretical/technical depth) required. Advanced degree (Master’s, PhD or equivalent) preferred.
• Minimum of 8 years programming experience with increasing responsibility OR Masters/MBA in a relevant field and 6 yrs relevant experience OR PhD in a relevant field and 5+ yrs relevant experience. Experience in a pharmaceutical/ clinical trial environment preferred.
• Expert knowledge of data structures and relevant statistical programming languages. May include SAS, R, Python etc. Knowledge of SAS and R preferred.
• Advanced knowledge of statistical programming and industry standard data structures, thorough understanding of end to end clinical trial process and relevant clinical research concepts.
• Working knowledge of relevant regulatory guidelines (e.g. ICH-GCP, 21 CFR Part 11)
• Demonstrated experience planning and coordinating complex programming strategy and activities with the ability to support multiple high complexity tasks.
• Demonstrated experience leading programming teams to meet project timelines and goals.
• Basic project management skills.
• Demonstrated strong written, verbal communication skills with the ability to manage conflicting demands and priorities and negotiate successfully.
• Proven ability to forge strong collaborations with stakeholder and partner functions.
• Proven ability to translate complex problems into clear and concise programming code/tools.
• Experience managing and overseeing the outsourcing or externalization of statistical programming work in the clinical trials setting (e.g. Working with CROs, academic institutions).
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional, and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com.
The base pay range for this position is $106k to midpoint $160K.
The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis
Employees may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs such as health insurance, savings plan, pension plan, disability plan, vacation pay, sick time, holiday pay, and work, personal and family time off in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans. Additional information can be found through the link below.
Information on benefits can be viewed by following this link: https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
North America-Canada, United States-New Jersey-Raritan
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
J&J Family of Companies
- J&J Family of Companies Jobs