Michael Foods (M.G. WALDBAUM COMPANY) Micro Lab Tech 2nd Shift in Norwalk, Iowa
Business Unit Overview
Michael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities throughout our organization where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that's First in Food.
Location Description Michael Foods, Inc. located in Norwalk, Iowa is a southern suburb in the Des Moines, Iowa metropolitan area. We are known for knowing our neighbors and enjoying a great quality of life! Our location produces high quality precooked egg patties as well as various French Toast products. Responsibilities
This position in responsible for all microbiological sampling, analysis and reporting for the end to end quality.
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities, related to Food Safety and Quality, are followed and complied with uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process variability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supplies, inventory management and ordering all products for the micro lab.
- Maintain Microbiology laboratory quality control activities as outline in the Microbiology Internal Control Plan(ICP).
- Rapid microbiological analysis including PCR technology.
- Microbial analysis using AOAC/ISO methodology.
- Microbial data entry, reporting out of specification data with corrective action initiated.
- Support quality functions.
- Perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for any product or environmental monitoring deviations and/or failures.
- Environmental monitoring for pathogens as per the Internal Control Plan
- Responsible for reporting out microbiological results and managing product and ingredient release as per MFI standards.
- Adhere to safe work and laboratory practices, follow GMP's, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Responsible for Food Safety and Quality of MFI products.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assume personal responsibility to ensure a safe and healthy workplace for everyone. Adhere to all safety policies and procedures and incorporate safety and health in all jobs and tasks.
- Adhere to Quality work practices, follow all GMP's, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety and quality.
- Ensure regulatory compliance at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED:
- None Required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- One year certificate from college or technical school or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Problem solving/ continuous improvement skills is a plus
``` - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups, customers/vendors or employees of the organization. - Attention to detail: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concre e variables in standardized situations.
Skill in working with computers and experience with spreadsheet and word-processing software.
Michael Foods, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, or a physical or mental disability.