SAYDEL COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT Varsity Assistant Baseball Coach in Des Moines, Iowa
Reports to: The Head Coach, in conjunction with the Activity Director and respective principal.
Supervises: Athletes and team assigned to them and assumes supervisory control over all athletes in the program when such control is needed.
Job Goal: To carry out the aims and objectives of the sport program as outlined by the Head Coach. To instruct athletes in individual and team fundamentals, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Has a thorough knowledge of all athletic policy approved by the Saydel Board of Education and is responsible for its implementation.
- Has a knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels. Coach is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require attendance.
- Maintains discipline and works to increase moral and cooperation within the school sports program.
- Assists the head coach in scheduling, providing transportation and requirements for tournaments and special sports events.
- Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times. Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
- Provides documentation to Athletic Director, fulfill state and system requirements, concerning physical examinations, parental consent, and eligibilityat sub-varsity level.
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites.
- Provides training rules and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete who is considered a participant.
- By his/her presence at all practices, games, and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance, and safeguards for each participant.
- Directs student mangers, assistants, and statisticians.
- Determines discipline, delegates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and contacts parents when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
Equipment and Facilities:
- Is accountable to the head coach for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned. Arranges for issuing and storing of equipment and submits to the head coach annual inventory and current records concerning same.
- Recommends to the head coach budgetary items for next year in his area of sport.
- Monitors equipment rooms and coaches' offices, authorizes who may enter issue or requisition equipment.
- Permits the athletes to only be in authorized areas of the building at the appropriate times.
- Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility. Coach is responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment.
- Secure all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving building if custodians are not on duty.
- Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
- Assists the head coach in carrying out their responsibilities.
- Makes press releases and school announcements.
- Instructs team members as to changes in the rules and teaches fundamentals of the sport as outlined by the head coach.
- Maintains a record of team statistics and requirements for lettering.
- Works within the basic framework and philosophy of the head coach.
- Attends all staff meetings and carries out scouting assignments as outlined by the head coach.
- Arrivesearly enough to practice, contests and meetings to adequately prepare and remains long enough afterwards to help players with problems or to become involved in staff discussions.
- Helps in the planning and implementati n of both in-season and out-of-season conditioning and weight room programs.
- Never criticizes, admonishes or argues with head coach or any staff member within eyes or ears of players or parents.
- Strives to improve skills by attending clinics and using resources made available by the head coach.
- When possible, will attend most of the contests of other teams in program.
- Performs such other duties that are consistent with the nature of the position and that may be requested by the head coach.
- Hold a parent meeting prior to the start of games for your season