UnityPoint Health Manager Clinical Pharmacy in Des Moines, Iowa
Responsible for coordinating and managing clinical Pharmacy services and ensuring that the Pharmacy department provides optimal clinical services on a daily basis. Facilitates the development, implementation, and maintenance of systems that promote desirable patient outcomes through the use of safe, cost-effective medication therapies. Is responsible for oversight of the pharmacy residency program for UnityPoint Des Moines.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Commitment to our Team – We’ve been named a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker’s Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Directs development, implementation, and maintenance of clinical pharmacy services (C) Directs and participates in the preparation and presentation of drug monographs, drug/drug class reviews, drug usage evaluations, adverse drug reaction reports, and Pharmacy interventions summaries to the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and other medical staff committees. (F) Facilitates the identifications, resolution, implementation, and communication of cost-effective medication use issues in collaboration with the medical staff and other health care professionals (C) Coordinates and participates in the development and maintenance of up-to-date policies, procedures, and training materials for the provision of pharmaceutical care (C) Participates in the training of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy students and other technical and supportive staff (C) Performs the human resources functions of hiring, discipline, evaluations, staff development, and promotion (F) Participates in selection process of pharmacists, pharmacy staff and pharmacy residents. (F) Reviews work processes and participates in efforts to improve quality of service and reduce costs (F) Assures compliance with JCAHODNV, Iowa Board of Pharmacy, and other accrediting/regulatory agencies. (F) Assists with the coordination of the utilization of information systems, automated dispensing machines, and other technology to meet the service needs of the Pharmacy Department (F) Makes recommendations for and participates in the management and development of the pharmacy budget (F) Practices Pharmaceutical Care: Reviews medication orders, including order entry and/or order verification, to assess appropriateness of drug selection for targeted disease state. Based on patient specific parameters (e.g. renal function, hepatic function, patient co-morbidities and patient-specific medication compliance issues, etc), reviews medication orders and regimens for appropriate dose, schedule, route, contraindications, and potential drug interactions. Contacts the prescriber as necessary for clarification and/or to recommend appropriate therapy or dosage changes. (O) In accordance with established policies, procedures and/or protocols, specific activities may include, but are not limited to: Dosing of medications using pharmacokinetics principles Management of parenteral nutrition Review of chemotherapy regimens Review and interpretation of culture and susceptibility reports for antibiotic recommendations Review of select IV medications to determine if oral administration is appropriate for the patient. Sustains the formulary by minimizing nonformulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic substitution protocols, and promoting rational drug therapy selections. As assigned, provides and coordinates pharmacy functions for a specified area or patient population. (O) These functions include, but are not limited to: Respond to referrals of complex questions regarding patients€™ therapy and reactions to medications from other members of the health care team (pharmacists, nurses, physicians, etc.)
Preferred or Specialized
· Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) required
· ASHP-accredited residency or equivalent experience required
· Advanced health degree (MHA, MPA)
· Four years of hospital pharmacy experience required
· Must be able to proficiently read, write and speak English
· Ability to work with computer systems required
· Must attain a license to practice Pharmacy in Iowa within six months of employment. Must be directly supervised by a licensed pharmacist until Iowa Pharmacist license is obtained
· Must maintain current license to practice pharmacy in Iowa and be in good standing with the Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners to continue employment
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Must demonstrate leadership qualities, problem-solving skills and the ability to instruct and lead staff.
· Must demonstrate discretion and sound judgment in all job responsibilities while remaining fair, impartial and professional.
· Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with people of diverse professional, educational, and personal backgrounds.
· Must function effectively in fast paced environment. Must be able to quickly alternate among various duties, depending on momentary needs.
· Must be able to ascertain and understand pharmacy related problems and provide suitable solutions through adequate and proper research.
· Must maintain judgment and self-discipline to work under supervision, but also possess initiative, innovation, and self-direction.
· Must have ability to maintain a pleasant attitude towards patients, visitors and fellow employees.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position
Requisition ID: 2022-120742
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Posting Minimum: USD $61.19/Hr.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Days
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org