UnityPoint Health Endoscopy Technician in Des Moines, Iowa
Under the supervision of licensed team members, the Endoscopy Technician assists the medical team that uses endoscopes to diagnose and/or treat gastrointestinal problems. The Endoscopy Technician interacts with patients, prepares the room and equipment, and provides support to physicians and nurses while the procedure is underway. The endoscopy technician handles specimens, independently performs some studies and provides high level disinfection of equipment. Successful performance contributes to a holistic approach to the delivery of services, improved patient care, and a high level of satisfaction from patients and families.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Commitment to our Team – We’ve been named a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker’s Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
· Preparing and positioning patients for procedures.
· Assists physician with instrumentation during procedures including the collection of specimens, cultures, and biopsies.
· Ability to handle pressure and think quickly to address the needs of the patient and nursing unit.
· Assists with off shift GI cases being on-call as needed. Response time will follow current policies.
· Develops knowledge of the Endoscopy patient population and of nursing routines and assists as needed with basic patient-care tasks under direct supervision of an RN.
· Assists in emergency procedures in an inpatient setting.
· Assists the provider with standard and advanced procedures and independently performs motility studies.
· Supports all regulatory recommendations and hospital initiatives to improve patient safety and satisfaction.
· Actively participates in timeout process and specimen verification. Proper labeling of specimen will be a dual process between nurse and tech.
· Ability to follow detailed procedures. Must be able to listen to instruction, translate it into activity, and reproduce what is taught.
· Demonstrates knowledge, purpose, and proper labeling of medications and solutions.
· Monitors and relays quantities of medication used on the endoscopy procedural field to the supervising RN or provider.
High Level Disinfection and Sterilization:
· Consistently and comprehensively practices universal precautions to prevent the transmission of infection to self or others.
· Is knowledgeable of all processes for the appropriate handling and disposal of hazardous chemicals to ensure hospital compliance with OSHA standards and to ensure the prevention of contamination or injury to self or others.
· Is responsible for the appropriate care and handling of endoscopes and all auxiliary equipment, including proper inspecting, cleaning, disinfecting, processing, assembling, and storing of the above as defined by unit-based standards.
· Consistently adheres to all applications to prevent patient contamination and/or infection.
Room Set up And Equipment Maintenance:
· Pre-cleans and reprocesses all types of scopes following manufactures instructions.
· Assists with room clean up and turn-around post-procedures.
· Monitor, restock rooms and reorder supplies as necessary
· Oversees the proper functioning of equipment by requesting and monitoring routine maintenance.
· Understands how to use scopes, identifies functional problems with equipment, performs basic troubleshooting of equipment, requests equipment repairs and maintains repair records when applicable.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High School diploma or equivalent
EMT, CMA or CNA
· Must have a knowledge of basic medical terminology, desire to participate in endoscopy procedures and strong communication skills.
· Prior endoscopy or gastrointestinal disorders knowledge
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Must have/obtain CPR certification
· Endoscopy Technician certification desired
· Maintains FOCUS values
· Excellent communication skills.
· Knowledge and ability for appropriate charting in Electronic Medical Record
· After 6 months the endo tech must have basic knowledge of endoscopy procedures, anatomy and physiology, the prevention and control of infection; and scope reprocessing.
· Understanding endoscopy setting and procedures
· Demonstrate a thorough understanding of decontamination and high level disinfectant process
Requisition ID: 2022-114820
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Endoscopy- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Full-Time Days Mon-Fri 6a-4:30p, 8 or 10 hour shift options. Procedural area with a few call nights per month and 1 weekend call every 5-6 weeks.
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org