UnityPoint Health Clinic Laboratory Technician-Methodist Internal Medicine in Des Moines, Iowa
Clinic Lab Technician
Full Time Benefits
*do need coverage for the 9-530 frequently
Performs phlebotomy duties and all routine technical procedures following technical protocols as allowed by CLIA ’88 using the principles of quality control.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options like 401K match, paid time off and education assistance that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Assist in the delivery of primary health care services and patient care management.
· Demonstrates competence in the skills necessary to carry out assigned duties by participating in competency reviews and proficiency testing on a regular basis.
· Collect and prepare blood samples using a consistent patient labeling identification system for performing routine laboratory procedures.
· Assure the reliability and safety of blood products utilizing appropriate collection and processing procedures to avoid inadequate specimens.
· Communicate results in a timely manner to appropriate health care personnel.
· Demonstrate an understanding of established policies and procedures included in Procedure Manual, Lab Manual, Safety Manual, and CLIA regulations or policies from other laboratory regulatory agencies such as CAP and COLA.
· Assume responsibility and accountability for the quality and quantity of service delivered.
· Perform phlebotomy duties, assist other employees with difficult phlebotomy situations, interact with patients, families, visitors and staff in a positive manner.
· Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information that is required for preparing patient for examination as directed by Clinic Administrator and/or Director after completion of Vital Signs Competency. Does not include immunizations, dispensing of medication, or assisting in procedures.
· Provide appropriate and timely documentation in the patient’s electronic health record using standardized workflows and processes.
· Performs and documents quality control, instrument and general maintenance, troubleshooting and proficiency testing as deemed necessary by CLIA.
· Provide information to appropriate regulatory agencies (i.e. health department).
· Facilitate and support relationships between providers (e.g. within clinic, referring) and with ancillary services.
· Demonstrate the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Understand inpatient and outpatient specialty procedures. Responsible for compliance with precertification requirements.
· Thoroughly understand anatomical impact (phases/stages, thresholds) for clinic specialty services including co-morbidities and influences impacting patient care and treatment.
· Thoroughly understand testing (lab and procedures) values and relationship to patient status with accountability to take next steps, as appropriate to scope and licensure.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
· Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High School graduate.
· High school diploma required if work is performed in a complex CLIA lab.
· Graduate of an accredited program for Medical Assistants, Licensed Practical Nurses or Registered Nurses preferred.
· Current CME certification for Certified Medical Assistant or current license to practice nursing in the State of Iowa/Illinois for Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse preferred.
· Previous phlebotomy experience or certification.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong computer skills.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Ability to work as a team member.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2022-106426
Street: 1221 Pleasant St
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Internal Med- Methodist Plaz-
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday 8a-4:30p
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org