UnityPoint Health Operating Room Scheduling Coordinator - SCCR in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Focus on internal and external partnerships and strategies that will result in long term growth within Surgical Services. Responsible for networking and maintaining positive communications with physicians and office staff in addition to organization and maintenance of an effective system of scheduling operative and other procedures where anesthesia resources are required. Organizes and maintains the Operating Room Scheduling training tools and procedures. Ensures all documents are available to all Operating Room Scheduling staff. Leads and supports the day-to-day operations of the Surgery Scheduling team. Markets the surgical program through efficient operations and direct interactions with medical staff and their offices.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options like 401K match, paid time off and education assistance that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Establish and maintains productive, professional relationships with key personnel including partner clinic administrators and their front-line staff.
· Coordinate with proper company personnel to provide timely and accurate scheduling services for the surgical clinic customers.
· Serve as a central point of contact for the surgical clinic administrators and staff when concerns arise regarding their ease of scheduling at Surgery Center Cedar Rapids.
· Act as the primary Operating Room scheduling liaison between Surgery Center Cedar Rapids and surgical clinics within the community to provide value added scheduling services to the physician & clinic audience.
· Conducts consistent, proactive education/outreach communication with surgeons and surgeon office staff in the form of: in person meetings, email, conference calls, etc.
· Proactively assesses, clarifies, and validates customer needs on an ongoing basis. Creates communication plans and clearly relays the information to customers.
Departmental Support and Scheduling
· Develops and maintains a positive working environment, supporting open communication and respect for all members of the internal and external health care team.
· Assists with orientation of new employees and competence maintenance for all employees in the Scheduling Office. Facilitates understanding of the scheduling process to maximize quality and minimize turnover in the department.
· Prepares training material and conducts training sessions.
· Conducts scheduling process audits and oversees error tracking through random quality control audits for effectiveness, working with the Managers to identify risks, improve processes and prevent scheduling problems arising from missed pre-authorizations.
· Assists with at-the-elbow coaching of department staff.
· Replies to questions related to procedure and quality from staff, while providing feedback and education.
· Maintains data reports, including physician/surgeon block reports.
· Facilitates accurate and complete data entry for surgical services using the electronic medical record.
· Establishes and maintains accurate files and continually updates information in the electronic medical record and training documents.
· Schedule’s procedures accurately using the electronic medical record and creating the correct surgeon preference card.
· Schedule appropriate testing in EPIC for pre-surgical requirements.
· Coordinate pre-surgical packet information with surgical offices.
· Always protects patient confidentiality.
· Support planning and coordination of the surgical services scheduling processes.
· Participates in and makes recommendations on surgical services business growth opportunities related to Operating Room Access.
· Alerts leadership to operational problems as they relate to the delivery of service to partner surgical clinics.
· Allocates schedule time to surgeons based on established blocks, first come/first served and add-on scheduling policies.
· Determines criteria that create variable case duration times and incorporates these into the scheduling process.
· Works with the Operating Room management team to determine equipment, instrument needs and to refine/improve the scheduling process.
· Works with anesthesia and their office staff to incorporate efficient use of anesthesia resources into the case scheduling process.
· Verifies preliminary surgery schedules on a daily basis to ensure accuracy and completeness, preventing errors that could potentially cause a dysfunctional schedule.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect.
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Associate degree in related field or direct and applicable work experience.
Bachelor’s degree in related field or direct and applicable work experience.
Minimum of two years in an office setting/health related field.
Leadership experience preferred.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Strong customer service orientation/mindset.
Knowledge of medical terminology/anatomy and surgical procedures.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Basic computer knowledge using Microsoft Office, web browser, and email.
Maintains friendly and courteous interpersonal communications, attempting to meet surgeon scheduling needs whenever possible, providing alternative times when preferences cannot be met.
Maintains a strong knowledge of the operating room scheduling process and shares this knowledge with the scheduling team to support operational excellence.
Ensures adherence to scheduling policies and practices.
Acts as a role model to orientees, fostering a positive and supportive working environment to enhance learning.
Maintains close contact with surgeon’s offices and follows up on scheduled cases as necessary.
Easily grasps new concepts and acquires new skills/procedures readily.
Exercises sound judgment, seeking advice when appropriate.
Ability to work collaboratively with members of the health care team to avoid/solve problem.
Requisition ID: 2022-112559
Street: 1075 First Ave SE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Ambulatory Surgery/SCCR
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday thru Friday 8:30AM to 5:00PM
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org