St Anthony Regional Hospital Director of Perioperative Services in Carroll, Iowa
Director of Perioperative Services
Join Our Team
Why St. Anthony
Frequently Asked Questions
Job Training Programs
Job Location:St. Anthony Regional Hospital, 311 South Clark St, PO Box 628, Carroll, IA, 51401Department:Surgery
Employment Type:Full-TimeJob Description
Position responsible for providing leadership, direction and support for one or more patient care departments, ensuring the delivery of quality care to patients; and for planning, implementing, reviewing and controlling the budget, staffing, and robust process improvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Directs the day-to-day operations for assigned patient care departments, maintaining 24/7 operational responsibility and directing clinical and non-clinical staff.
• Reviews and approves all new hires, establishes and controls standards for performance appraisals; works with clinical supervisors to identify staffing needs and provides for accordingly; coordinates training needs of staff with education department; remains available, accessible and visible to staff; recognizes staff’s achievements and accomplishments and provides ongoing feedback on performance.
• Works with service line leaders and clinical supervisors to establish departmental scope of service, goals and strategic plan for the department; stays up-to-date on new developments in the field and incorporates such in the department’s scope of service; reviews departmental policies, procedures, and systems; conducts appropriate department promotional activities and participates in hospital market activities.
• Monitors and directs all patient care activities.
• Considers the diverse needs of each patient through the entire continuum of care, providing and ensuring the highest level of service according to established service standards, optimizing the patient experience.
• Participates in a systematic, interdisciplinary, and ongoing evaluation of programs, process improvement, desired client-centered outcomes, and organizational outcomes.
• Ensures the revenue, expense, contribution margin and FTE’s meet or exceed budget; prepares and submits budget and related reports; forecasts and accurately projects expenses; takes corrective action to address negative variances; identifies and proposes capital budget items appropriately. Remains within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity, and quality of service.
• Promotes physician input and communication; includes medical staff in planning new or revised policies, procedures and services; provides rapid response and follow-up to medical staff issues/concerns; seeks new ways to encourage new physicians to utilize hospital services.
• Adheres to all regulatory and Iowa Board of Nursing requirements and standards.
• Attends all mandatory meetings and programs.
• Performs other duties as necessary or assigned.
• Complies with the Corporate Compliance Policy and all laws, regulations, and Standards of Conduct relating to the position and agrees to report any suspected violations of law or Standards of Conduct.
• Complies with all applicable state and federal regulations.
• Maintains a safe work environment using safe work practices, utilizing standard precautions and complying with hazardous waste procedures at all times as described in St. Anthony's Safety Manual.
• Maintains the confidentiality of patient, resident, employee and organizational information.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• Graduate of an approved school for professional nursing.
• Current license to practice professional nursing in the State of Iowa.
Position Requirements, Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Licensed and currently registered as a professional nurse in the state of Iowa.
• ACLS certification within six months of employment.
• PALS certification within six months of employment.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, customers, patients, families and the general public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; talk and hear; and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 21 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and blood borne pathogens. The employee is frequently exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you have further questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 712-794-5111.