Iowa State University Veterinary Technician - ICU - Large Animal in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Veterinary Technician - ICU - Large Animal
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Associates degree in a veterinary technology program from an accredited institution. • Successful completion of the veterinary technician certification, registration, or license within one year of the start date.
Are you a vet technician ready to grow your career, working alongside the best in diagnosis and treatment, as well as research and education? Are you compassionate with the commitment to learn in a comprehensive environment? If you are saying yes, take your step forward and join us at Iowa State University’s Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center (LVMC) Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Large Animal Hospital.
To qualify, you must have an Associate’s Degree from an accredited institution; you will have 12 months from the date of hire to obtain your veterinary technician certification, registration, or license.
Our on-the-job training allows veterinary technicians of all experience levels to develop skill sets to their fullest potential and opportunity for specialty licenses. As a veterinary technician, you will also support and contribute to the education of 4th-year veterinary students, under the guidance of our expert veterinary clinicians. You won’t be able to do this work like this anywhere else in Iowa!
Our on-the-job training allows veterinary technicians of all experience levels to develop skill sets to their fullest potential. As a veterinary technician, you will also support and contribute to the education of 4th-year veterinary students, under the guidance of our expert veterinary clinicians. You won’t be able to do this work like this anywhere else in Iowa!
We are searching for Veterinary Technicians for our large animal ICU team! Apply today to learn more and make a difference in the care of our patients, clients, and community.
The LVMC provides specialized care and comprehensive medical and surgical services for companion and large animals throughout Iowa and surrounding states. Our clinicians, residents and interns, technicians, staff, and senior veterinary students work in teams to provide 24-hour, state-of-the-art care to animal patients. We take great pride in shaping the future of veterinary professional practice, education, research, and service, as well as our people, clients, and patients.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Provide nursing care to critically ill hospitalized patients in conjunction with specialty and emergency veterinarians
Triage incoming patients presenting on emergency
Assist in CPR
Assess patient stability and obtain patient vital signs
Perform diagnostics and treatments of emergency and hospitalized patients
Perform hourly patient assessment and monitoring
Observe patients and recognize changes in status
Restrain patients for exams and treatments
Obtain samples for and perform in house laboratory testing
Place peripheral and central catheters
Place nasal gastric tubes under the guidance of Veterinarians
Maintain urinary catheters
Bandage removal and application
Set up and administer IV and SQ fluids
Perform drug dose calculations for injectable medications and CRIs
Administer injectable medications (IV, IM, SQ)
Administer other medications (PO, OU, OD)
Maintain isolation protocols for infectious patients
Administer injectable and inhalant anesthesia
Monitor patients while under anesthesia and maintain a monitoring log
Monitor patients during recovery from anesthesia
Assists in the education of 4th-year veterinary students under the guidance of Veterinarians
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of animal health and welfare - animal isolation, sample collection, medical treatment, nursing and monitoring, pre & post-surgical requirements including room and supply preparation.
• Knowledge of pharmacology - dosage, calculations, and usage.
• Knowledge of animal husbandry - animal feeding, watering, grooming, handling, safe transporting, and environmental requirements.
• Knowledge of record maintenance - collecting and recording data.
• Knowledge of trimming, clipping, or grooming animals.
• Knowledge of teaching and/or demonstration of safe animal handling.
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements (Animal Welfare Act, Public Health Service, etc.).
• Ability to handle, restrain, load, and unload animals.
• Ability to administer medication - topical, injections, oral, and smears.
• Ability to check and interpret vital signs.
• Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull up to 50-70 pounds.
• Ability to instruct and demonstrate veterinary techniques in handling, grooming, and nursing animals.
• Ability to interact with outside clients in a professional capacity.
• Knowledge of computers, computerized medical record systems and word processing software such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date: April 5, 2022
Posting Close Date:
Job Requisition Number:R8007