Iowa State University Histology Technician I - Veterinary Diagnostic Lab in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Histology Technician I - Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Required Minimum Qualifications:• High school graduation, or comparable laboratory experience.
Special Required QualificationsMust have accurate color recognition
Preferred Qualifications:• Bachelors degree in physical or natural sciences.
• Related undergraduate courses in physical or natural sciences.
• Laboratory or histopathology laboratory experience with fixation, processing, embedding, microtomy, staining and standard laboratory operations.
• Experience or demonstrated ability to thrive in a high volume laboratory environment.
• Knowledge of medical terminology and/or animal anatomy.
• Experience with automated equipment
. • Experience that demonstrates the ability to multitask, prioritize, and troubleshoot.
• Experience that demonstrates a strong ambition to work at a continuous high-pace. • Eligible for or certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists in histologic technique.
The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (VDL) pathology section in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University is seeking qualified candidates for a Histology Technician I position. The ISU VDL is a full-service veterinary diagnostic laboratory engaged in missions of service, teaching and research on a daily basis. The laboratory processes 90,000+ submissions from veterinarians and researchers annually.
The primary responsibility of this position is to prepare tissues for histopathologic evaluation from animals submitted to the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory for disease diagnosis and research purposes. Preparation of tissue samples for diagnostic evaluation includes: trimming, processing, embedding, sectioning and staining. The technician must be skilled in performing and understanding embedding, microtomy and special staining. Other duties include and are not limited to: monitoring and maintaining the laboratory and the equipment within, troubleshooting, keeping records, handling formalin-fixed tissues, using histology cutting tools, modifying special staining procedures, entering data and helping to train new employees and students under the supervision of a histology supervisor.
To perform these essential job functions well, the successful candidate must be able to maintain consistency of output during repetitive tasks both independently and with co-workers. The successful candidate also must be able to maintain focus, have acute attention to detail, communicate effectively, work effectively within a team, be engaged, and have familiarity with basic laboratory techniques.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares human and animal tissues from surgical, diagnostic, and autopsy sources, employing established techniques for fixation, dehydration, embedding, sectioning, and staining of the specimens.
• Must develop proficiency in use of microtome.
• Utilizes specialized staining methods, and fixation and processing procedures. • Assists in recording data pertinent to the histology laboratory.
• Prepares and maintains dyes, stains and other solutions.
• Maintains and cleans equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of care and use of laboratory equipment.
• Knowledge of principles of sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
• Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and equipment and supplies required.
• Knowledge of keyboarding and computer data entry skills. • Ability to communicate effectively with others.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to collect data, maintain accurate records, and prepare reports.
• Ability to use and care for tools in maintenance and repair work.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date: May 10, 2022
Posting Close Date:
Job Requisition Number:R8374